[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 16 19:52:06 MST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:28:26 -0700
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> On Feb 16, 2004, at 12:46 PM, Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > MS Office is a great product on a lousy operating system with
> > repressive
> > licensing practices.  It's availability on Linux would not stop the
> > repressive licensing practices.  I'd rather put my money (precious
> > little is required) on continual improvements in OpenOffice.
>
> I wouldn't say "great" product.  It was always an "adequate" product.
>
> Lotus 1-2-3, and WordPerfect were always better products than Excel
> and Word.

I have to agree about WordPerfect - my all time favorite word processor.
Others have pooh-poohed Excel, but I used it in a prior lifetime to
produce charts for performance studies, and I found it to be superb for
that use.  OTOH, OO spreadsheet comes pretty close on the heels of
Excel, and its free.  I do most of my work with OO writer, but it can be
quite cumbersome to use (just try omitting page numbers on the first
page).

In short: no way Jose would I pay for MS Office on Linux.

--
Collins Richey - Denver area
gentoo 2004 2.6.3_r2 nptl udev