[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Dan Harris coronadh at coronasolutions.com
Mon Feb 16 19:02:07 MST 2004

This is pure nonsense.  I am a die-hard Linux and F/OSS fan as much as
the rest of this group, but I also have a long history in the industry
of working with MS products.  Excel is one of the most impressive
applications to ever come out of Redmond.  By combining Excel and VBA
with a solid RDBMS, it has shown to be an indespensible tool for not
just complex spreadsheets, but also as a very complete presentation and
devlopment platform.  Both myself and many of my customers have built
some impressive Excel+VBA+SQLServer solutions that are scalable, robust,
and powerful.  For you to claim Excel is only a Word replacement for
PHB's makes you appear completely uninformed and blindly biased.

Excel has some VERY nice formatting capabilities that combine with a
powerful VBA object model to make some seriously powerful tools that
cannot be matched by anything in the open-source world.. yet..
I've used OOo's scripting and to put it mildly, it pales in comparison
to VBA's  power.

-Dan