[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Jeff Cann j.cann at isuma.org
Mon Feb 16 22:29:46 MST 2004

On Monday 16 February 2004 7:02 pm, Dan Harris wrote:

> Both myself and many of my customers have built
> some impressive Excel+VBA+SQLServer solutions that are scalable, robust,
> and powerful.

Scalable is probably not the word I would choose.  I can tell you of customers
at my company that tried to build a replica of our (financial) product using
your suggested platform.  Their financial model took 4 days to run.  Ours,
written in Java, running on Solaris and using Oracle could do the same
calculations in 10 minutes (I'm not exaggerating).  Needless to say, they
scrapped their 2 years of work and bought our product.

I agree on the robust and powerful descriptions.  IMHO - Excel is a cool
product with a lot of advanced features -- few well-documented, but many cool
ones.  I was impressed when I learned how to generate dynamic SQL statements
from VBA GUI widgets.  I don't do much work in this realm - this one was a
special project.

Plus, Excel is the lingua franca of financial companies.  Most have millions
of dollars of their own intellectual property built into Excel spreadsheets,
macros and VBA apps.  So, it must do the job well enough and to get them to
move to OO without the automated ability to move all of those custom macros
and apps is a joke.

But for personal use, I would not run MS Office on Linux -- I'm use OO to
track product features in spreadsheets -- text formats and some simple sales
models.  Not rocket science, not RDBMS back end.  OO and Excel are overkill
for my personal use.

Jeff
--
http://isuma.org/