[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Feb 22 16:55:42 MST 2004

I agree with Jeff.

I talked with a guy who works for Sun in Broomfield. A couple of
comments.  First, he stated at their last "board meeting" recently about
1/3 of the "execs" had Apple Powerbooks running, you guessed it, Open
Office under Apple's X11.  That's why he was considering running Mac OS
X rather than Windows.

Second, he runs Excel getting data from 8 inputs: 4 from RDBMS and 4
from people with a total of over 300,000 cells being populated.  OO does
NOT come close to this production, but they're working on it.

I agree that OO is something I would use for beginning to intermediate
users, but for power users I'd used MS office even though I'd hate to.

In about 2 years OO should be able to run comfortably on Linux,
Soloaris, Windows, and Mac OS X, then everyone can switch to Linux or
Macs.

HTH

Kevin