[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Michael Riversong mriversong at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 06:23:50 MST 2004

What ever happened to Lotus 123?  I used to do a lot of power work with
it a long time ago, but haven't kept up, other than knowing IBM bought
them out.  Its scripting language was great!  Seems like Big Blue would
have the resources to set up a Linux version easily.

On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 04:55 PM, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> I agree with Jeff.
>
> I talked with a guy who works for Sun in Broomfield. A couple of
> comments.  First, he stated at their last "board meeting" recently about
> 1/3 of the "execs" had Apple Powerbooks running, you guessed it, Open
> Office under Apple's X11.  That's why he was considering running Mac OS
> X rather than Windows.
>
> Second, he runs Excel getting data from 8 inputs: 4 from RDBMS and 4
> from people with a total of over 300,000 cells being populated.  OO does
> NOT come close to this production, but they're working on it.
>
> I agree that OO is something I would use for beginning to intermediate
> users, but for power users I'd used MS office even though I'd hate to.
>
> In about 2 years OO should be able to run comfortably on Linux,
> Soloaris, Windows, and Mac OS X, then everyone can switch to Linux or
> Macs.
>
> HTH
>
> Kevin

Michael Riversong
http://www.hippiehebraic.com/michaelriversong.html
Free Celtic harp and other gentle MP3s and radical ideas about music and
culture