[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Feb 17 00:58:28 MST 2004

* Jeff Cann (j.cann at isuma.org) wrote:
> Given this:
>
>  + http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/13/HNlinuxoffice_1.html
>
> If MS Office were available on Linux, would you pony up for it?  Why / not?
> How does this affect Linux advocacy efforts to persuade companys to use Linux
> on the desktop.

I would like to add that while I agree with most posters: I won't be
buying MS Office, nor any MS product, I do applaud the move from IBM.

Reality is that corporate America has a hell of a lot invested in
Office.  They are not switching to OO anytime soon.  And it is MS
Office, not Windows, that really gives MS their monopoly power these
days.  Businesses absolutely must run Office.  And that means they must
run Windows.

So if IBM makes it easy to run Office on Linux, that could make huge
strides in breaking up the MS monopoly.  Amazingly giant swaths of
corporate offices could fall to Linux if this were realized.

That is worth it to me.

Go IBM.

Tim
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==