[CLUE-Tech] MS Office on Linux -- would you?

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Mon Feb 16 15:00:49 MST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:39:41 -0700
Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:

> Given this:
>
>  + http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/13/HNlinuxoffice_1.html
>
> If MS Office were available on Linux, would you pony up for it?  Why / not?
> How does this affect Linux advocacy efforts to persuade companys to use Linux
> on the desktop.

Shouldn't this be on Clue-Talk?

I wouldn't buy/use MS Office on Linux for the same reasons I'm not using
MS Office + CrossOver right now - Office has no features that I consider
necessary that I can't get from OpenOffice.org. The *only* "feature" MS
Office has that seems to come up over and over again is compatibility
with MS Office...

I've found that OpenOffice.org is fine for my needs, even when it comes
to exchanging files with a publisher that uses Word and Word templates.
I wish IBM would put more effort into boosting OpenOffice.org rather
than work on MS Office -- in the short run it may seem like the smart
move, but the smarter move (in the long run) is to back OOo.

Zonker
--
"A leader is best when people barely know that he exists,
less good when they obey and acclaim him, worse when they