[CLUE-Tech] Gentoo installation

Dan Vande More dvm at firstlink.com
Sat Feb 28 11:08:48 MST 2004

I am dualbooting XP and gentoo on my dell D800  laptop.
I rarely boot into XP, but it does work.

You'll find instructions on this page:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=9#doc_chap2

Just search the page for XP to get to this grub.conf section:

# Which listing to boot as default. 0 is the first, 1 the second etc.
default 0
# How many seconds to wait before the default listing is booted.
timeout 30
# Nice, fat splash-image to spice things up :)
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.22
# Partition where the kernel image (or operating system) is located
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda3

# The next three lines are only if you dualboot with a Windows system.
# In this case, Windows is hosted on /dev/hda6.
title=Windows XP
root (hd0,5)
chainloader +1

-Dan