[CLUE-Tech] Gentoo installation

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 12:04:54 MST 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:29:05 -0700
Collins Richey <erichey2 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:37:10 -0700
> "" <yuko.jonah at 4dv.net> wrote:
>
> > Hey guys has anyone here been successful in installing gentoo linux,
> > i.e to dual boot with windows xp using grub. If you have i might
> > need some help. installation is finished except i cannot seem to get
> > grub going. not at home with the error.
> >

> I've been a gentoo user almost since day one, and all my machines dual
> boot with WinXP (not much used). Post your grub configuration details,
> what steps you've taken, partition layout, disk types, etc., and I'm
> sure we can get you up and running.

Just thinking in advance, maybe all you need is some tips:

1. emerge grub         (from your chroot setup)

2. If working from chroot, you will have already mounted /boot (if
    using separate partition), but be sure it is mounted.

3. copy your Sytem,map and kernel bzImage (pick a name) to /boot

4.   edit /boot/grub/grub.conf

    some like to ln -s /boot/grub/grub.conf /boot/grub/menu.lst

    Here is a copy of my grub.conf.  Note that I'm not using a /boot
    partition.  The first entry below would change if you are using
    /boot as a partition.

    If you need kernel boot parameters, but them in front of "ro" in
    the boot stanza below.

    Comment out the splash image if you don't have it.

-------
color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 25

### This is the g2 splash image
splashimage=(hd0,8)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

### gentoo (bzImage-2.6.3-gentoo-r2)
title g2-hda9-bzImage-2.6.3-gentoo-r2
        root (hd0,8)
        kernel (hd0,8)/boot/bzImage-2.6.3-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/hda9 ro

###  change the above entry to this if using /boot = hda8, for example
#title g2-hda9-bzImage-2.6.3-gentoo-r2
#        root (hd0,7)
#        kernel (hd0,7)/boot/bzImage-2.6.3-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/hda9 ro

### more entries snipped

### Windows WinXP
title WinXP-hda1
    root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

### Boot from floppy
title Floppy
    root (fd0)
    chainloader +1
-----

5. install grub in your mbr
    grub
    root (hd0,8)                 <== points to your gentoo partition,
    setup (hd0)                           mine is hda9

Reboot and enjoy.

HTH,
--
Collins Richey - Denver area