[CLUE-Tech] Laptop standby.

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Feb 29 10:19:27 MST 2004

Keith Hellman wrote:
[...]
> I seem to recall hearing that some machines do not support *both* ACPI
> and APM gracefullly.  I recall having to disable ACPI on the kernel
> command line when installing SuSE on my wife's notebook.  Is there a
> bios setting to dictate what type of power management is used?

The bios are pretty sparse on settings, nothing about APM or ACPI, or
even power management at all.  I take that to mean it is ACPI only.
IIRC, APM was a "OS tell the BIOS and the BIOS will put the machine to
sleep" while ACPI is a "OS controlls power state of all devices".  So
there aren't any BIOS settings for ACPI.  But I could be wrong.

The laptop is only a few weeks old so it doesn't surprise me that it is
ACPI only.  No APM stuff is installed, nor are any ACPI utilities (which
is ok, link in my last post indicated they don't do sleep anyway).  The
kernel boot params were set to acpi=off so the thing wouldn't even power
down when it halted (and they didn't show you the console tty so the
last message you got was "Stopping System Loggers").

BTW, this is a Helium tablet computer running Lycoris.  Not bad for $999
I think.  There are some glitches with it (don't know if they're the
fault of the hardware guys or the distro guys) and Element Computer
doesn't have any support material on their web site (unless it's after
you log in which I haven't).  Lycoris does have some support and it
looks nice enough, though not what I like personally.