[CLUE-Tech] Networking

Chris Tubutis ctubutis at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 19:44:06 MST 2004

On  3 Jan, Russell Glissmann wrote:
> Okay, I've got a personal stumper...
> Two machines, both running Fedora Core 1.  Both on same network,
> although they are on two different switches.

I am by no means a network wizard and I don't know if I've ever been on
a network where different switches were connected to each other without
there being an intermediary router nor do I know Thing One about
configuring and debugging switches. A couple ideas, though... assuming
all your TCP parameters are correct on your UNIX boxes (netmask, default
gateway, etc.) the first thing I would be looking at is NIC speeds and
autonegotiation. For example, I've heard of situations where the NICs
have to be hard-coded to 100 MB/full duplex as the full & half duplex
stuff sometimes fails to work as desired. Just a thought....

ct