[CLUE-Tech] Introduction New Subscriber

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Jan 4 12:32:15 MST 2004

info at booga-wooga.com wrote:
[...]
> Questions / Information I am interested in right now included unix / apache /
> FreeBSD / running a web server / co-locating, server admin - basic and
> advanced commands. The world of open source. Here to learn.

You'll find help here on Unix, Apache, and so on, but most specifically
Linux.  If you're running FreeBSD you might look for a FreeBSD list (you
might find help here anyway, but it may not be as reliable or direct for
FreeBSD).

> Is this the right place for me? I guess I'm looking for a mentor or a group
> of mentors. Am interested in the club and what it might offer.

Hmm...  Mentoring (and training for new Linux users) is something I'm
interested in.  I've found a 36 hour curriculum but assume that for
casual users there isn't much interest in paying for that.  So getting
good space and hardware are a problem.

Installfest would be a good place for you to meet people and get help.
We don't do them very often though.  You could also check out the study
group (http://clue.denver.co.us/studygroup.html) which is evolving into
a hacking society.  I try to be there and could talk to you more about
mentoring.

You can also look at the other area hacking societies, maybe they are
more convenient (http://www.hackingsociety.org/).

Finally there's Linux FUN-da-mentals (http://thegeek.nu/LinuxFun.htm).
They do teaching topics on basic Linux use.  The link seems down at the
moment and they don't meet completely regularly but you can subscribe to
their list at http://mailman.thegeek.nu/mailman/listinfo/linuxfun.