[CLUE-Tech] Problem starting vsftp through xinetd

Chris Tubutis ctubutis at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 18:45:25 MST 2004

On 10 Jan, Chris Greene wrote:
> When I try to connect to my vsftp server I get the following:
>
> [root at linux chris]# ftp localhost
> Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1).
> 500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket

So, it would appear that there's something already listening on port
21 (assuming we're using default ports here). Instead of netstat or ps,
try telnetting to port 21, as so:

==========
[chris at nodows chris]$ telnet localhost 21
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ready, dude (vsFTPd 1.1.0: beat me, break me)
user chris
331 Please specify the password.
pass xxxxxxxxxx
230 Login successful. Have fun.
quit
221 Goodbye.
Connection closed by foreign host.
[chris at nodows chris]$

Obviously, I have something listening onm port 21, and it just happens
to be vsftpd (launched via inetd).

lsof can be helpful in figuring out what process has what socket open.

ct