[CLUE-Tech] Red Hat Ending Support

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jan 16 10:23:47 MST 2004

Mike Staver wrote:
> With Red Hat Ending Support for some of their previous versions, and
> soon to be 9:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/archives/
>
> I would like to find a new distro for my work servers ASAP.  I'm looking
> at Suse:

If you like Red Hat and you're not opposed to paying for a distro, why
not use Red Hat Enterprise?  If it's because SuSE is cheaper than Red
Hat you might reconsider.  All the TCO people say that software cost is
a small part of TCO, and you could easily spend more than what you save
in the time it takes you to learn a new distro and migrate everything.

Seriously, put some numbers on the migration project before you decide
RH is too expensive.

You might even be able to use Fedora if you can get security fixes in a
reasonable amount of time.

<flamebait>
I see parallels between Free vs proprietary software in the "corporate
vs community" distro question.  An intuition on that led me to Debian
over Red Hat years ago and I haven't regretted it.  Especially with
Bruce Perens' User Linux project.
</flamebait>