[CLUE-Tech] More 802.11 Woes

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Jan 18 20:13:45 MST 2004

Hey again,

So I recently posted about my Linksys WMP11 802.11b card that did work.

Well, I decided to buy bridges, instead, and not futz with drivers. I
like the features/speed/price of the D-Link DWL-2000AP. It supposedly
can be a client, an AP, a p2p bridge, or a point-to-multipoint bridge.
The latter is what I thought I wanted. It also can to WPA, and 2x 54
Mbps if both ends are D-Link.

Well, I got it, but I am unhappy, again.  Am I crazy in expecting the
following scenario to work:

Keats: Debian Linux, My office
Usul: Debian, Wife's office
Keatsap: DWL-2000AP
Usulap: DWL-2000AP
Dslap: DWL-2000AP, connected to Zoom DSL modem, phone line, living room.

I have it hooked up as:

Keats --> Keatsap -->
                     \
                      \
                       --> Dslap --> Zoom --> Internet
                      /
                     /
Usul  --> Usulap  -->

Zoom:    192.168.44.1
Usul:    192.168.44.2
Keats:   192.168.44.3
Dslap:   192.168.44.4
Keatsap: 192.168.44.5
Usulap:  192.168.44.6

The Dslap is configured in point-to-multipoint bridging. Usulap and
Keatsap are configured in point-to-point bridging, and have the MAC
address of Dslap.

It works as far as getting Usul and Keats on the Internet.  However,
Usul and Keats cannot see each other.  Am I crazy in expecting bridging
to work that way?

I actually tried it with Dslap as a Access Point, and the Keatsap and
Usulap as Wireless clients, but that fails to work at all, which
surprises me.  I am beginning to think that the D-Link firmware is just
damn buggy, but I am no expert on how this technology functions, so I
could be wrong.

(No encryption of any kind is turned on, at this point.  I have also
tried many, many iterations of feature toggling on the DWL-2000APs to
try and straighten things out, to no avail).

Tim
==  Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp    ==
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings... ==