[CLUE-Tech] [TECH] - How to resend email in server mailbox

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jan 23 14:25:54 MST 2004

Garey Hoffman wrote:

[...]
> 1. Deliver the email in their email boxes on my system (only a couple
> doxen accounts) to their email server now that it is back online.

Not sure on this.  At least you can script pulling each message out of
the mailboxes and stuffing it into sendmail.  You can open each mailbox
with Mutt and forward them all (and perhaps that can be scripted too).
Not necessarily clean but should work.

You could deliver the mail files on disk and tell them to deal with it
(Exchange can read mbox and Maildir, can't it?) ;-)

> 2. Setup my mail server (linux with patched versions of pop3d, imapd and
> sendmail) so that it can hold mail for my client if their internal email
> server is down (MS Exchange) and then deliver it to their internal email
> server once it is back up.

The way it should work is your mail server (sendmail) should be set up
to accept mail for the client and deliver it to their mail server.  It
should not deliver into local accounts.  Then if their server goes down
the mail sits in the queue until it expires (and bounces) or their
server comes up.  I'm sure the sendmail book describes how to do that.

Now you know roughly how long it takes them to recover their mail server
so you can set your delivery timeouts appropriately.