[CLUE-Tech] Linux on rentable laptops

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Jul 3 12:40:52 MDT 2004

Matthew D Robinson wrote:

> Neither of these propose solutions to my dilemma.  I need to do software
> development on the road which requires a screen big enough to hold three
> simultaneous terminals and a processor \approx one and a half gigs.  These
> machines cost over $1500 and as an independent contractor I can't afford it.

Ahh!  That's the requirement!  Perhaps I missed that in the original
request for information?

So you need to see all three screens at once, eh?

The usual "solution" to this is to use a desktop manager that has
virtual desktops and just switch between them, revelealing your desired
window.  It's frustrating, but after a few jobs you'd have enough money
(hopefully) to purchase the big-screen laptop you need to be more
efficient.  Most of the popular windowmanagers have keyboard shortcuts
tied to virtual desktop switching so your hands never have to leave the
keyboard.  (I'm constantly finding myself reaching for the mouse to
switch screens and trying to break myself of the habit, knowing that I
was faster at tasks on my computers before they had windowing
environments available for them.)

Other creative options if all the applications don't need to run on the
same machine and you're doing non-graphical work would be to purchase a
VERY cheap desktop machine (or even a super small and portable mini-ITX
machine and tiny case) and run it headless if you just need to
distribute out the processor load.

Another possibility would be to go to one of the "minimalist" desktop
managers like "ratpoison" where switching between windows is done
super-fast via keyboard commands and mouse activity is at a minimum.
Some people really like that environment.

And there's always "screen" for multiple text-based "windows" without
leaving the same terminal.

Hopefully the issue is one of speed/convenience more than it is one of
"absolutely cant'get this done without 20"+ of physical desktop space
and the smallest fonts I can possibly read."  If the latter is the
requirement, prices just aren't low enough yet to get you below the
$1000 mark... but they're headed there!

Good luck with it, keep throwing out your thoughts on what you're trying
to do -- perhaps someone will have a good suggestion that will lead you
to something you can at least work with until you can afford the monster
laptop or write a contract with someone to pay for your services in
hardware some month when you get a little ahead on the money curve.  ;-)

(If the hardware is a requirement for the job and you've got an
excellent relationship with your customer, you're right... they may be
willing to rent you the hardware you need, so I think I see where you're
going now...?)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com