[CLUE-Tech] Linux on rentable laptops

Matthew D Robinson matthewd at robinson-howell.com
Sun Jul 4 16:53:55 MDT 2004

Nate Duehr wrote:

>The usual "solution" to this is to use a desktop manager that has
>virtual desktops and just switch between them, revelealing your desired
>window.  It's frustrating, but after a few jobs you'd have enough money
>(hopefully) to purchase the big-screen laptop you need to be more
>efficient.  Most of the popular windowmanagers have keyboard shortcuts
>tied to virtual desktop switching so your hands never have to leave the
>keyboard.  (I'm constantly finding myself reaching for the mouse to
>switch screens and trying to break myself of the habit, knowing that I
>was faster at tasks on my computers before they had windowing
>environments available for them.)

Okay.

>Other creative options if all the applications don't need to run on the
>same machine and you're doing non-graphical work would be to purchase a
>VERY cheap desktop machine (or even a super small and portable mini-ITX
>machine and tiny case) and run it headless if you just need to
>distribute out the processor load.

This sounds really cool.  I looked into some mini-ITX info and it looks
like no one even sells barebones -- you must go component by component.
My concern is the interface.  Do you use a USB or maybe a cat-5 type
network connection between it and the laptop? How does the laptop use it?
I suppose one could use any distribution booted to run level 3. This
seems like a great option -- it's like a $200 optional component to a
laptop.

>And there's always "screen" for multiple text-based "windows" without
>leaving the same terminal.

I've heard of this, especially as I am a vi guy,
but have never been introduced to it.

>Hopefully the issue is one of speed/convenience more than it is one of
>"absolutely can't get this done without 20"+ of physical desktop space
>and the smallest fonts I can possibly read."  If the latter is the
>requirement, prices just aren't low enough yet to get you below the
>$1000 mark... but they're headed there!

I'm not sure what you mean, but I hate small fonts.  I have never been
interested in laptops, but as I work at home, they offer the possibility
to make my work place portable.  I love my desktops, and am nervous
about small keyboards, screens, and processors.  Moore's Law suggests
that portable computers should be at a level by now that I can use.

--
Matthew D Robinson
615 S. Grant St.

Someone once said something.