[CLUE-Tech] Cannot boot from any LiveCDs

Chris Greene r0x0rman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 19:31:48 MDT 2004

I downloaded the Universal LiveCD for Gentoo, configured BIOS to boot
from the CD and received this error:
Boot from ATAPI CDROM: No Emulation System Type-(00)
found something at drive = 9F
I/bin/ash: can't access tty: job control turned off
I then got dropped into a shell.  I think it was called BusyBox.

I searched the Gentoo forums and tried everything I could find.  I
placed the CD into another system and it worked.  I then tried a LFS
LiveCD and received:
Boot from ATAPI CDROM: Failure...

Knoppix starts up real fast and I believe I can see "Boot from ATAPI
CDROM: No Emulation System Type-(00) found something at drive = 9F"
like with the Gentoo CD.  It then goes to a title screen where I press
enter.  It starts loading the kernel and says "looking for CDROM in"
and says "cannot find knoppix filesystem" and drops me into a little
shell.

This CDROM drive works fine with every other bootable CD that I have
tried.  I always burn the RH ISOs in the same way.  It is a p166
machine with an old Creative Labs quad speed CDROM drive.

Anyone know a fix or should I just go get a new CDROM drive?  Thanks.