[CLUE-Tech] upgrading from FC1 to FC2

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jul 8 10:15:28 MDT 2004

On Jul 7, 2004, at 4:07 PM, David Anselmi wrote:

> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> I was thinking... would just changing the repository in sources.list
>> for apt from FC1 to FC2 be safe?  Is that a good way to upgrade from
>> FC1 to FC2?
>
> That's what you would do in Debian.  If the alternative is a fresh
> install, why not try it?  You can always do the fresh install after an
> upgrade fails.  But look at the difference between upgrade and
> dist-upgrade.

Debian tests that style of upgrade, Fedora does not.

If it's not possible to do a apt-get dist-upgrade and end up with a
sane system coming from any stable release to any stable release, it's
a Release Critical or Grave level bug in Debian.  I've never seen that
level of dedication to online upgrades from RH/Fedora.

Not saying this to start a distro war about upgrades... it's just an
observation.  If you need in-place upgrades, go with a distro that puts
a higher priority on them.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com