[CLUE-Tech] Mail Delivery (failure clue-tech@clue.denver.co.us)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Thu Jul 8 11:40:23 MDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 12:27 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:38:50 -0400
>
> "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason at blazenet.net> wrote:
> > I didn't know you guys allowed binary attachments.
>
> The list management software we use, GNU Mailman, does not, AFAIK, have
> the capability to strip attachments. Perhaps the newer version of it does.
> We will be migrating to the newer version when we move to our new server.

Hm.   I'm not familiar with it,  but I would think that dealing with this
issue is an important consideration.  I just talked to a guy who just started
a new Yahoo list and who had initially allowed for attachments,  but he's now
turned that feature off.  Some of us are still on dialup.  :-)   I would
prefer a link to somewhere and the choice of whether I want the file or not.

> Hmmm, found a reference to stripping attachments at
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=3844 -- I'll bring this up
> with the admins.

> > This needs to be fixed.  Or unsubscribe me,  one or the other.

> I'm afraid I can't give you any assurances. I can tell you that it's very
> rare for us to have viruses on the list. In fact, if it's happened before,
> it's been long enough ago that I don't remember it.

Was that in fact a virus?  I don't know,  running kmail here stuff with
<filename>.scr shows up with an icon that appears to be related to audio? I
get several of those a day,  and also <filename>.pif,  and several variants
on the .exe and .com files,  usually with names that are supposed to mislead
folks that are stupid.  I get tired of dealing with them.

That and stuff similar to that in zip files,  and innumerable variants on the
nigerian scam,  still going around.

Any thoughts about how I might trace where in fact these are coming from? And
what might be done about them?

Or better yet some way to automate dealing with them?  It'd be neat if kmail
saw something like this coming in and could just forward it to abuse at wherever
from the _real_ source address,  but I don't think my simple attempts to deal
with filtering just now are quite up to that task just yet.