[CLUE-Tech] Mail Delivery (failure clue-tech@clue.denver.co.us)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Thu Jul 8 14:27:34 MDT 2004

On Thursday 08 July 2004 03:19 pm, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> >I was starting out with the idea that I was going to have to set up a
> > whole bunch of different programs to get email going here,  once I
> > started out on that task -- sendmail, procmail, fetchmail,  etc.  Then I
> > discovered how easy it was to get kmail to do most of what I wanted,  and
> > sort of just dropped that project.  I may end up picking it up again at
> > some point as this LAN gets a little bigger and other users start to get
> > involved in the picture. Just in the past few days I've started doing
> > this from a workstation (the actual mail itself still lives on a server)
> > using nfs,  but there are some glitches there to work out yet,  and some
> > loose ends.

> Well if you do decide to use procmail, you might want to look at this:
> http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html
>
> I'm particularly fond of this sort of simple filtering

I'll have a look,  but at this point I don't really have a handle on just what
I'm going to need to do here to get multiple users in the setup...

I did see that bit about identies and whatnot in the kmail help file,  but
don't recall whether there was anything specific in there about being able to
have multiple users on the same connection or not.  I also need to get with
my ISP and find out their requirements...

> >It's interesting how so many ISPs seem to view keeping you from
> > _downloading_ spam or viruses to be a "good thing" (I guess it is from a
> > marketing point of view) but they don't seem to bother with any
> > consideration whatever about people _upoading_ the damn things.  At least
> > not that I've heard.  This is such an issue that my previous provider
> > screwed up communications for me with both individual parties (one person
> > could NOT reach me by email, good thing we had other channels) and with
> > yahoo,  which at the time I was using for a single list.  As of today
> > I've got 67 lists from there going,  and wouldn't want them screwed up,
> > though yahoo seems to be taking that into their own hands at this point.

> Does Yahoo allow you to upload a virus?

Actually,  apparently not.  One of those posts I bounced was supposedly from
there (although probably not) and they bounced it right back at me.

> Even if the from address is @yahoo.com, I bet it really came from somewhere
> else.

That's been the case at least once here.

> I think filtering on the way out is a good idea.

I wish more ISPs thought so.

> I really only have experience with sendmail though, and I don't think I
> could get it to filter on relaying.

I thought procmail with sendmail was supposed to be the setup.  I've yet to
explore much of this stuff...