[CLUE-Tech] Mail Delivery (failure clue-tech@clue.denver.co.us)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Thu Jul 8 15:09:19 MDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:44:07 -0600 (MDT)
"Chris Schock" <black at clapthreetimes.com> wrote:

> It's somewhat sad to have to relegate emails with nasty payloads to
> being unimportant, but because they are so commonplace they just don't
> get much attention. We all have responsibilities to protect our own
> computers and shouldn't rely on the upstream to do it for us. When that
> happens, they turn into Big Brother.
>
> Does anyone else share this point of view?

Nope. Bandwidth costs money. Storage costs money. ISPs have every right to
block spam. They have no obligation to transmit it. I used to spend a lot
of time getting getting spammers TOS'd (account canceled for violation of
Terms Of Service [TOS]) for spamming usenet. Many ISPs were glad to get
the abuse reports. If the ISPs, who own the equipment, pay for T1s, OC3s,
etc., don't want to allow spam on their networks, then they have every
right to contractually prohibit it, and to whack accounts which violate
the contract. No Big Brother there.

And, especially for those of us on dialup, if our ISPs can save us the
time/trouble of downloading and dealing with SPAM/viruses, then great. If
I don't want them to, I can a) use their control panel to turn it off, or
b) move to a different ISP. No Big Brother there either.

jed

--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/