[CLUE-Tech] My 30-second SuSE 9.1 Review (err, whinge)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Sun Jul 25 11:56:10 MDT 2004

On Sunday 25 July 2004 11:14 am, Collins Richey wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:02:36 -0600
>
> "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 08:23:13 -0600
> >
> > Collins Richey <erichey2 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > This is one of my all-time biggest gripes. There should be a
> > > standard for user and group numbering that all distros adhere to.
> > > IMO, this is even more important than LSB!
> >
> > In this case, it was not a "standard" group name. It was a group I had
> > created for a particular purpose.
>
> In my case, I use whatever the default user/group numbering scheme is on
> a distro, and that means I have to do "major tinkering" to get my
> partitions like /home to work via nfs if I try another distro. Some
> distros start the user numbering at 100, others at 1000, and unless I
> remember to hard code the user number when creating a new user, it's a
> royal pain to get nfs to work.

I've just started recently doing stuff with nfs,  what's the connection with
user or group numbers?

The rest of this stuff is one of the bigger reasons why I've tended to stay
away from some of these distros (I run Slackware :-),  you either have to
find a way through the distro to do something,  or you end up fighting it, or
you can't do what you want -- which to me is one of the more significant
aspects of running linux in the first place,  that you can pretty much do
what you want with the system...