[CLUE-Tech] My 30-second SuSE 9.1 Review (err, whinge)

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 12:13:00 MDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:56:10 -0400
"Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason at blazenet.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 25 July 2004 11:14 am, Collins Richey wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 09:02:36 -0600
> >
> > "Jed S. Baer" <thag at frii.com> wrote:

> > > In this case, it was not a "standard" group name. It was a group I
> > > had created for a particular purpose.
> >
> > In my case, I use whatever the default user/group numbering scheme
> > is on a distro, and that means I have to do "major tinkering" to get
> > my partitions like /home to work via nfs if I try another distro.
> > Some distros start the user numbering at 100, others at 1000, and
> > unless I remember to hard code the user number when creating a new
> > user, it's a royal pain to get nfs to work.
>
> I've just started recently doing stuff with nfs,  what's the
> connection with user or group numbers?

It may just be my minimal knowledge of nfs, but I can't ever get
exported directories to mount on another system unless the numeric
userid, etc. matches on both sides of the fence. I resorted to the
following:

1. alter the userid for my user on one system
2/ Manually alter all the files owned by my user.

> The rest of this stuff is one of the bigger reasons why I've tended to
> stay away from some of these distros (I run Slackware :-),  you either
> have to find a way through the distro to do something,  or you end up
> fighting it, or you can't do what you want -- which to me is one of
> the more significant aspects of running linux in the first place,
> that you can pretty much do what you want with the system...

Nothing wrong with Slack (an aok distro), but the same situation applies
when you multiboot various distros for testing and fun.

--
 /\/\
( CR ) Collins Richey