[CLUE-Tech] My 30-second SuSE 9.1 Review (err, whinge)

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Sun Jul 25 13:02:48 MDT 2004

On Sunday 25 July 2004 02:13 pm, Collins Richey wrote:

> > I've just started recently doing stuff with nfs,  what's the
> > connection with user or group numbers?

> It may just be my minimal knowledge of nfs, but I can't ever get
> exported directories to mount on another system unless the numeric
> userid, etc. matches on both sides of the fence. I resorted to the
> following:
>
> 1. alter the userid for my user on one system
> 2/ Manually alter all the files owned by my user.

Right now there are three boxes active here.  One is the firewall/router to
which I export /cdrom in case I need to upgrade things over there,  at the
present time that one's still running Slack 8.1 or similar,  in a very
pared-down configuration.  It's on an 80M drive with room to spare!  Then
there's the "server" where I have my mail and all of my "save as" files,  and
that one does its nfs stuff in /etc/exports.  Then there's this "workstation"
where it mounts things from the other box during the boot process.  So I need
to bring them up pretty much in that order,  if there's a power glitch or
something (and there have been a few lately with a number of hefty storms
rolling through here).

Nowhere in all of that have I noticed anything about groups or user numbers
yet,  which is why I was wondering,  but maybe I just haven't bumped into it
so far...?

> > The rest of this stuff is one of the bigger reasons why I've tended to
> > stay away from some of these distros (I run Slackware :-),  you either
> > have to find a way through the distro to do something,  or you end up
> > fighting it, or you can't do what you want -- which to me is one of
> > the more significant aspects of running linux in the first place,
> > that you can pretty much do what you want with the system...

> Nothing wrong with Slack (an aok distro), but the same situation applies
> when you multiboot various distros for testing and fun.

Yeah,  I have a few others here that I've been given to play with,  but just
haven't had the time to get around to them yet.  Probably I oughta build some
more machines,  but cases and monitors are in short supply at the moment so I
need to find some.  And then figure out where to put 'em.  :-)  There is one
other machine in process,  an all-SCSI file server,  but I'm in no hurry with
that.  It'll get there, eventually.