[CLUE-Tech] Store and forward

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Jul 27 11:36:07 MDT 2004

Hi Angelo,

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I'm using sendmail and procmail, and I have been asked if I can "store
> and forward" for another server in case their mail fails.  I have
> virtual hosted emails set up on my server using virtusertable... all
> mail gets delivered into /var/spool/mail.
>
> How do I store and forward mail as a backup mail server?  Can sendmail
> just store things in the mail queue until the server gets back up, or do
> I need to use procmail?

sendmail does store-and-forward by default when it is in the
queue mode.  (O DeliveryMode=)

The choices for delivery mode include interactive, background,
and queue.  The latter two are store-and-forward - the last
one requires that something happen to cause the queue to run
(like a cron job that makes sendmail -q run), or else -bd -q5m
on the command line, to cause it to run the queue every 5
minutes when running as a daemon.  (You can set whatever queue
interval you want of course.)

Do you know why your mail program (MUA) puts this huge obnoxious
header in every e-mail you send out?  I think it is all one line.
It'd be good if you could turn that off.

ar-iq, ar
-jo, ar-kw, ar-lb, ar-ly, ar-ma, ar-om, ar-qa, ar-sa, ar-sy, ar-tn, ar-ae,
ar-ye
, hy, ast, eu, be, bs, bg, ca, zh, zh-cn, zh-hk, zh-sg, zh-tw, hr, cs, da,
nl, n
l-be, undefined, en-au, en-bz, en-ca, en-ie, en-jm, en-nz, en-ph, en-za,
en-tt,
en-gb, undefined, en-zw, eo, et, fo, fi, fr, fr-be, fr-ca, fr-fr, fr-lu,
fr-mc,
fr-ch, gl, ka, de, de-at, de-de, de-li, de-lu, de-ch, el, he, hu, is, id,
ga, it
, it-ch, ja, ko, ko-kp, ko-kr, lv, lt, mk-mk, ms, no, nb, nn, pl, pt,
pt-br, ro,
 ru, gd, sr, sk, sl, es, es-ar, es-bo, es-cl, es-co, es-cr, es-do, es-ec,
es-sv,
 es-gt, es-hn, es-mx, es-ni, es-pa, es-py, es-pe, es-pr, es-es, es-uy,
es-ve, sv
, sv-fi, th, tr, uk, vi, cy, xh, yi, zu

Hope this helps,
Jim