[CLUE-Tech] Tape Drives - why?

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Thu Jul 29 14:48:37 MDT 2004

Richard Mancusi wrote:

>This is a very site specific question.  How often are you required to restore?
>How quickly are you expected to complete your restore?  How far back is it
>expected that you have retained data onsite and off?
>
>Offsite storage is very important as an archive - but fairly useless for
>quick recovery unless it is near.
>
>I am forced to rotate 15 EOD backups AND I rotate a special weekend
>backup offsite for each of my servers.  Call it a bad environment if you wish.
>I call it go with the flow.

Interesting thing to note here, is what I'm told is a new 'paradigm' in
backing up (something I might actually try sometime in the near
future):  Evidently some people have been buying a couple large hard
drives, backing up to those, and then using the tape to back up that -
it both allows for quicker backups on the servers (instead of writing to
slow tape, you zip it off to the large, IDE drives, probably in a fast
server with a gigabit connectino to the switch) and then transfering it
to tape. You keep a few days worth of backups on the IDE drives, and you
rotate things on and off.  If you need a file restored, you can take if
off the drives if it is in rotation, or pull it from tape.  You still
use hard drives, but mostly for temporary backup storage, not as the
final solution.

It sounds like a good idea to me - spare server, 300 bucks for a couple
160-200 GB drives, and it'll save a lot of time backing up...

Adam