[CLUE-Tech] Tape Drives - why?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jul 29 17:17:53 MDT 2004

David L. Willson wrote:

> OK, I'm no newbie, and I find myself asking the same damn question every
> time I get into the Backup & Disaster Recovery design process.  Why does any
> business with less than a TB of data to backup use tapes?  Why, why, why,
> when almost any fixed disk media is much cheaper and almost as easy to take
> offsite?

In one office, I was using CDs.  When I outgrew that, I switched to
external USB drives.  This is nightly full backups taken off site every
day.  It happens to work in this case.

In another office I use tapes.  They haven't been more expensive than
ATA disk (that will change over time I'm sure).  They are easier to take
off site (3 or 4 tapes at a time).  The backup jobs don't fit on one
tape so they span easily (with a tape library).  With several servers to
back up I have a program that centrally manages all that (including
cataloging the tapes so it's easy to find the right ones, whether they
are off site or not).  And my office bought me the tape library and
software so what the heck?  (This is for 800+GB of backup data.)