[CLUE-Tech] Tape Drives - why?

dperkins at techangle.com dperkins at techangle.com
Fri Jul 30 07:30:43 MDT 2004

We use tape backup in our products.  Many of our customers put a tape in
the drive and never change it.  Others change it every 6 months.
Sometimes a  hard drive crashes and we use the tape to restore the
application configuration and data.  Occasionally we find that the
customer's tape is bad.  Sometimes the backup log shows that there was a
failure.

One customer had the write protect set on the tape.  When his drive
crashed, he lost about 8 months of data.  Not good, especially since the
EPA required 3 years of data.

Those big mainframe tape drives had special heads that would read back
what was just written on the tape and compare it with what had just been
written.  I don't know if smaller tape drives have such heads.  Probably
not.