[CLUE-Tech] Tape Drives - why?

dperkins at techangle.com dperkins at techangle.com
Fri Jul 30 09:53:19 MDT 2004

That sounds reasonable.  The data is backed up on a separate medium, and
even better, is also stored in a different building.  Loss of data due to
fire, etc., is minimized.

I have known companies to do local backups to a second drive every four
hours, and a daily backup from that drive once a day.  The daily backup is
done to the company mainframe in another city and the data transfer was
slow, so they adopted a two-step approach to backup.