[CLUE-Tech] Tape Drives - why?

Gary Threlkeld gthrelk at comcast.net
Fri Jul 30 09:16:16 MDT 2004

I for one have had terrible experiences with tape backups.  I once acquired
a brand-new tape backup system and using a brand-new tape, I completely
backed up a system AND successfully verified the tape backup.  When I went
to do a complete restore the same day, the tape reported read errors and
even with multiple attempts to do the restore, I ended up loosing the data
and having to rebuild the system as best I could from other backup media
(CD's, floppies, etc).  Needless to say, after that experience, I haven't
trusted tape backups.

Another example of tape backups that didn't work as planned was a major
corporation that backed up all its mainframe master files to tape.  They
had for several years used XYZ tape drives with no major reported problems.
Then some manager, seizing the opportunity to save a buck, decided his
corporation could save significant $$$'s by substituting tape drives from
company ABC (also a major tape drive manufacturer) for the one's currently
being leased from XYZ.  Within one week of making the swap, 10 master file
tapes had been destroyed and the project was abandoned at a substantial
cost to the corporation.  Guess this shows that hardware consistancy should
also be taken into consideration when performing backups.

As to the discussion of tapes being easier to take offsite - what about
taking backups or mirroring data on spare hard drives - then transmitting
them to another site -perhaps even an independent vendor that offers disk
space to house files and are themselves responsible for taking backups of
their systems with your data?  Wouldn't this negate the issues of transport
and storage?

Gary