[CLUE-Tech] USB trouble

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jul 30 10:24:54 MDT 2004

>Oh, I should mention that I've never done anything with USB before, and
>both machines have customized kernels (and for reasons I won't go into
>here, it would take a lot of work to go back to a stock kernel on either
>of them), so I am trying to set up USB support for the first time, with
>new kernels and new whatever-else-is-required.

Is it acceptable to install another kernel and just boot that image when
you want to do this work?

>Uh-oh. But on the other hand:
>
> $ cat /proc/pci
>  PCI devices found:
>    [ .... ]
>    Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
>      USB Controller: PCI device 1032:0035 (Compaq) (rev 66).
>        Master Capable.  Latency=255.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
>
>So I dunno what's up with that. Does the system recognize the card or
>not?

In my experience: no.  Stuff in /proc/pci seems to just be whatever
"self identification" a particular card has.  The system probably
doesn't recognize the card as something it knows how to deal with, but
it knows what its name is.

>Box #2: laptop, 2.4.22 kernel
>Okay, here, as I said, it's closer to working. UHCI is compiled into the
>kernel, and when I plug the scanner into the USB port and/or

Ok you've probably tried this already... but have you rebooted with the
scanner plugged in and/or tried running discover?  I have a feeling your
laptop is going to let you use the scanner before your desktop will.