[CLUE-Tech] USB trouble

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Fri Jul 30 11:02:22 MDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 09:57:27AM -0600, Matt Gushee wrote:
>  $ lspci
>  # output edited for brevity
>  00:0b.0 Class ffff: Compaq: Unknown device 0035 (rev ff)
>
> Uh-oh. But on the other hand:
>
>  $ cat /proc/pci
>   PCI devices found:
>     [ .... ]
>     Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
>       USB Controller: PCI device 1032:0035 (Compaq) (rev 66).
>         Master Capable.  Latency=255.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
>
> So I dunno what's up with that. Does the system recognize the card or
> not?
I believe lspci uses a database of vendor & product ids to provide
human readable descriptions of pci devices.

/proc/pci simply spits out the 'raw' data the card firmware provides
to the operating system.

> Anyway, does anyone have troubleshooting tips for this? Is there a way
> to "teach" the kernel about a new PCI device, or am I SOL?
I think you would actually 'teach' the lspci by updating the database
it uses.  You 'teach' the kernel by loading device drivers, but your
doing that already and it's not working.  You may want to start the
kernel from grub with 'debug' (I think that is it) and see if there are
verbose or debug options for loading any of the usb modules.  Additional
debug should show up in /var/log/messages.

> I will note that I have SANE 1.0.7 installed, whereas the "completely
> supported" info was for SANE 1.0.14. So I may try a later version. But I
> would expect that if the scanner is fully supported now, it would have
> been at least partly supported a few minor releases back.
Yes probably the mechanism to use the scanner is in the code and
working, but the minor change between .7 and .14 may have been the
vendor & product ids for the scanner you just bought.  Chances are that
if it can't identify it as a known scanner, it won't play with it at
all.  Does xsane-find-scanner say what *type* of scanner is found, or
just that a *scanner* was was found?

>  * Permissions on /dev/usb/scanner0 are 666, so that shouldn't be a
>    problem.
And the perms on /dev/usb ?  Although I can't figure out why
xsane-find-scanner would be working; besides I'm sure you've run these
tests as root.

>  * /proc/bus/usb exists but contains no files. Should it? This Debian
>    package of SANE depends on libusb, which (I have the impression) is
>    supposed to be an alternative to the /proc/bus/usb mechanism, so
>    maybe that's okay.
If the library is in userland, I doubt it actually updates the /proc
system.

Doesn't sound like fun, good luck.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"Windows is about choice - you can mix and match software and music player
stuff. We believe you should have the same choice when it comes to music
services."

-- David Fester, General Manager of Microsoft's Windows Digital Media Division
   http://apple.slashdot.org/apple/04/01/13/0158224.shtml?tid=109&tid=187