[CLUE-Tech] Tape Drives - why?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jul 31 19:23:56 MDT 2004

Match Grun wrote:
> With all this talk of backups... So you all take backups to your chosen
> media. How many of you have done a restore from backups? I guess that
> very few have. How reliable have you restores from backups been?

I haven't (yet) done a full restore from tape.  I've had tapes become
unusable for writing, don't know whether they have read problems before
that or not.  But I have done restores from disk/CD and had no problems.

The real trick is to design your recovery plan before your backup plan.
  At eBay a guy wanted to use tapes for backups and the VP asked him
what the recovery plan was.  Reading data off tape didn't work because
down time costs them $738/sec.