[CLUE-Tech] Tape Drives - why?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jul 31 19:35:21 MDT 2004

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
[...]
> Let's say that you have to go back to "last Tuesday,
> 'cuz I think I deleted the file on Wednesday."
> Unfortunately, in our jobs, this does come up!  So if
> you're doing a simple rsync, you've just rsync'd over
> the data you need.

I saw a script a guy used with rsync.  He would rsync a directory tree
into a "current" backup directory.  Then the next day he would copy that
(using hard links) to a "yesterday" tree and rsync a new current.  The
next day "yesterday" became "two days" ago (just a plain mv), "current"
became "yesterday", and a new current was rsync'd.

This is a copy on write sort of scheme.  If a file has changed, rsync
writes a new copy into the current tree (of the whole file, though only
changed blocks cross the network).  If a file hasn't changed, rsync
leaves it alone and it is pointed to by all the backup trees that use it.

Not quite as nice as filesystem level snapshotting, but not bad.  And
allows you to go back to "last Tuesday".  Perhaps what you meant by
"difficult but doable".