[CLUE-Tech] Mounting FAT32 partition as /home

Jay Seven Ess j7s12b at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 1 19:14:33 MDT 2004

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 05:21 pm, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> They are all owned by root
> by default.
>

> I may try setting the uid to see if it has an effect, but I don't see why
> it would

It does because (snip from man mount)

"uid=value and gid=value
              Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the uid and  gid
              of the current process.)"

The Default: UID and GID of the process that preforms the mount
command at boot is root. So if you don't change the default U|Gid
from within fstab the mounting of the partition(s) will always belong
to root and a normal user will not have read/write permission on the
filesystem.