[CLUE-Tech] Help with remote backup problem

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Wed Jun 2 07:06:46 MDT 2004

> I have 3 servers that need to be backed up.  One of them houses a
> 40/80 DLT drive.  I was trying to use GNU tar, however this much data
> was taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r to finish.  So I discovered 'star'.
> Something about this program makes it MUCH faster for network backups.
> Anyhow, here's the situation.  On the server with the tape drive, I
> run a nightly perl program that first backs up the local files using
> star, then backs up the two remote servers using rsh to call star and
> pipes back to dd to write it to the tape drive.
> The problem I'm having is that when I try and un-star either the 2nd
> or 3rd file, I get:

To make life eaiser (it certainly did mine) you may want to check out
http://www.bacula.org This is a cross-platform backup program
(Mac/Unix/Windows/etc) with naitive clients for each OS. It can do
remote backups, it works with disk, tape etc. The initial learning cuve
kinda hurts but after that you wonder why you did anything else.

Hope it helps!
Chris

--
"I promise you a police car on every sidewalk." - M. Barry, Mayor of
Washington, DC

http://ccicolorado.org
Exceptional Dogs for Exceptional People - Help Out Today!