[CLUE-Tech] If you administer a mail server, you might find this useful.

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 09:51:35 MDT 2004

Just to clarify:  popauth3 does much more than just POP before SMTP relay authentication to fight
spam.  The short, and potent, list includes:

1. POP before SMTP (obviously) -- but this can be disabled if you need only the anti-UCE utilities
2. Local cache of RBL and locally black-listed IPs with automated maintenance and reporting
3. Automated null-routing of repeat offenders, based on thresholds you specify
4. Protection against e-mail address quessing that helps to protect you against both spam and
virii.

All this is better explained at the project website, including an explaination of how these
mechanisms work (read it before you assume that you see problems in the list above).

Also, I joined Denver CLUE before I decided to release this project, for much more than just
plugging my software.  (Of course, fending off attacks when I'm trying to help people was not one
of my reasons.)  :)

--- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb at dissociatedpress.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 01:31, dan radom wrote:
> *snip*
> > Hmmm.  Im confused.  You fight UCE with your pop client?  That is
> > certainly less than optimal.  Anyway.  Thanks for the list spam.  Could
> > popauth3 null route these types of messages?
>
> I think the point is that it helps fight spam by enforcing POP
> authorization before allowing SMTP.
>
> Anyway... while it would be greatly annoying if every free software
> author decided to subscribe to the list to plug their software, it
> hardly qualifies as spam. Some folks on the list might be interested in
> it, he's not selling anything, and it does seem to be within the
> parameters of the CLUE Tech list to me.
>
> Zonker
> --
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb at dissociatedpress.net>
>
> "Gravity is a harsh mistress!" -- The Tick

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)