[CLUE-Tech] If you administer a mail server, you might find this useful.

William bkimball1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 10:12:21 MDT 2004

popauth3 does much more than simple POP before SMTP relay authentication.  Based on the feedback I
am receiving, I should have put the details into my original post.  I avoided that on purpose in
the hope that people would visit the website for the actual details, because it does so much that
I didn't want to laden everyone with one large message -- in my experience people tend to ignore
long messages in favor of the short and sweet.  :)

The full detail of what my project offers is very near the top of the page:  "What is popauth3?"
and immediately follows "Welcome".  Are you recommending that I move it even higher?  That flow
doesn't seem natural to me, but I'd like to hear more of what you recommend.

The problem with using IMAP is that this requires you teach your users to use it.  My mail server
supports many users on several domains, most of whom already know how to set up their MUAs for
POP, but have never seen IMAP before.  I'm on other mailing lists in addition to this one, so I
can say with certainty that this is not unique to me.  The common sentiment is that IMAP comes
across as an alternative to POP that requires additional user instruction and support.  Also, how
many web-mail clients (like Yahoo, MSN, etc) support IMAP to retrive e-mail from your "other"
accounts?  Not many, if any at all.  So, whether I like it or not, I have to support POP, and I'm
not alone.

You're right that IMAP seems like a better alternative to POP.  The problem is in appeasing the
masses of users in such a way that they are already familiar with, else you open yourself to more
support efforts.

I appreciate your feedback.  I won't assume that I know what's best for publishing a new project
to the Linux community.  This is, in fact, my first Open Source project.

--- David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> William wrote:
> [...]
> > What's important is that it offers a stronger anti-UCE stance than
> > most other solutions, including automated null-routing of repeat
> > offenders.  Even if you don't need the POP before SMTP authentication
> > mechanism (easily disabled), you should find this useful.
>
> So your tool provides authorization for smtp relaying.  That seems
> different from blocking incoming spam to your addresses.  But I'm not
> sure I'm clear which problem you're addressing.  Both?  The mechanisms
> seem different enough that they should be different packages.
>
> I guess you might consider summarizing your service categories at the
> top of your web page.  And perhaps outlining how your tool is a better
> approach than the others out there.
>
> And using IMAP avoids the POP before SMTP problem by sending mail over
> an authenticated channel (rather than just receiving it), doesn't it?
>
> Thanks!
> Dave

=====
William Kimball, Jr.
"Programming is an art form that fights back!"  =)