[CLUE-Tech] slashdot images blocked?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Jun 4 11:49:20 MDT 2004

> Well, if at work he uses DSL, is it doing NAT?  Does that make all the
> users at work look like one user with many connections to slashdot?
> Does slashdot strictly enforce the HTTP/1.1 limit?

I haven't ever observed this but maybe they just started doing it.  I
use Opera whenever I read slashdot.

> Maybe changing your browser to use HTTP/1.0 (or just changing the number
> of connections it makes, since one at least gets through) would help.

Good idea.

> > You can hack the Windows registry so that IE makes more than the HTTP/1.1
> > recommended number of connections, which dramatically speeds up IE as
> > well.  (Makes it almost as fast as Opera, don't cha know.)
>
> So you mean Opera is the fastest proprietary, non-standards compliant
> browser on earth? ;-)

Hey, I was just repeating their marketing tagline.  It's interesting that
in this case Microsoft is actually standards compliant, even though it
doesn't directly benefit them (IE is slower than Opera) to comply.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/