[CLUE-Tech] IMAP vs POP

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Fri Jun 4 21:35:29 MDT 2004

On Friday 04 June 2004 09:23 pm, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 16:00:12 -0600
>
> Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org> wrote:
> > POP downloads messages from the server onto the client machine.  So,
> > those messages are available only to the client that downloaded them.
>
> But in Sylpheed, there's an option under the POP3 settings for removing
> messages after retrieval. I have it checked, and I admit I've never tried
> unchecking it and seeing what happens.

I used to use that feature at my former job.  When I was away from my office,
I would set up Netscape (they used NS 4.7 at all locations) to point to my
company POP account.  But I would set remote versions of Netscape to leave
the messages on the server, so that I didn't end up with email scattered
across hard drives all over the company.

It works fine.  But it is nothing like IMAP (as I understand it, I've never
used IMAP).  Its just a flat collection of messages on the server.  No
ability to organize messages on the server, etc, and if you access the
messages with different mail clients, you end up with several copies of the
same messages, IIRC.

Tim
== Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net
== Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp
== Hello_World.c: 17 Errors, 31 Warnings...