[CLUE-Tech] IMAP vs POP

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 21:56:36 MDT 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 21:35:29 -0600, Timothy Klein <teece at silverklein.net> wrote:
> > But in Sylpheed, there's an option under the POP3 settings for removing
> > messages after retrieval. I have it checked, and I admit I've never tried
> > unchecking it and seeing what happens.

> It works fine.  But it is nothing like IMAP (as I understand it, I've never
> used IMAP).  Its just a flat collection of messages on the server.  No

There are some things in the world where you use them for a while, get
used to them, and then begin to wonder how you lived before you
started to use the new tool.  IMAP is one such tool for me.  I access
my personal email account from many places in the world either via
HORDE webmail or Thunderbird.  All of my folders are the same, all of
my replies/forwards are indicated in all locations, and my
sent/receive are stored on the server.  This is an enormous benefit
over the POP experience, especially for people who switch computers
frequently.

Greg