[CLUE-Tech] IMAP vs POP

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 4 22:03:16 MDT 2004

>It works fine.  But it is nothing like IMAP (as I understand it, I've never
>used IMAP).  Its just a flat collection of messages on the server.  No
>ability to organize messages on the server, etc, and if you access the
>messages with different mail clients, you end up with several copies of the
>same messages, IIRC.

I think POP just reads the mail in mbox format on the server, and
deletes them if you told it to.

IMAP on the other hand does something by putting folders in your home
directory either in mbox format or some other combination.  Whenever I
use IMAP on mozilla, I immediately get non-existant folders like
INBOX.Drafts and other weird stuff, plus a "subdirectory" of folders
called mail that contains stuff like a draft folder too... it's pretty
weird.

Angelo