[CLUE-Tech] IMAP vs POP

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri Jun 11 16:55:38 MDT 2004

Angelo - in this case, you need to do something, and that's edit your
.mailboxlist file in your home directory.  With RedHat anyhow, that's
the case.  You edit that file and tell it which folders IMAP should be
picking up.  I couldn't get by without IMAP these days - I've been using
it for 5 years now flawlessly - and I'm always shocked when I find other
"computer people" that have either never tried it or didn't get it to
work right when they did try it.  I'm always willing to help these
people because I find it a lot easier than pop3 to manage because all my
messages are on the server (where they get reguarly backed up) vs on my
machine where I could lose them with a drive crash.  Also, checking mail
from multiple locations - I find IMAP a must have feature.  I use
Mozilla and Thunderbird to check my mail - and I've found one thing out
- Mozilla seriously sucks with it's IMAP implemenation because it
doesn't work right.  To be specific, sometimes, and I stress sometimes,
even if you have the options checked for Mozilla to "remove immediately"
your messages after you delete them, it leaves them on the server.  This
happens for me when I connect to the exchange server I have imap on and
the RedHat/Sendmail/IMAP box I have mail on.  Thunderbird however is
awesome - it works correcly with IMAP and also allows me to cleanly
compose email, where Mozilla insists on using these stupid blue lines
instead of the > marks when I reply to a message.

--

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com
                                  mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com