[CLUE-Tech] IMAP vs POP

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Fri Jun 11 21:31:37 MDT 2004

>  drive crash.  Also, checking mail from multiple locations - I find
> IMAP a must have feature.  I use Mozilla and Thunderbird to check my
> mail - and I've found one thing out - Mozilla seriously sucks with
> it's IMAP implemenation because it doesn't work right.  To be
> specific, sometimes, and I stress sometimes, even if you have the
> options checked for Mozilla to "remove immediately" your messages
> after you delete them, it leaves them on the server.  This happens for
> me when I connect to the exchange server I have imap on and the
> RedHat/Sendmail/IMAP box I have mail on.  Thunderbird however is
> awesome - it works correcly with IMAP and also allows me to cleanly
> compose email, where Mozilla insists on using these stupid blue lines
> instead of the

Well, I still have the blue lines, but IMAP works fine with Mozilla
now.  You were right, it was just the .mailbox file.  The only real
disadvantage to IMAP is for me being on a modem, it takes a bit longer
to sync up with the server each time you do something.  But it's better
than POP anyway.

Part of my problems with the .mailbox file were because I had used
squirrelmail on my account, which also made its own mailboxes.

Angelo