[CLUE-Tech] IMAP vs POP

Chris Tubutis ctubutis at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 21:53:05 MDT 2004

--- Angelo Bertolli <angelo at freeshell.org> wrote:

> Well, I still have the blue lines, but IMAP works fine with Mozilla
> now.

I'll bet this is just some stupid setting in your Mozilla client, I see
you're using:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040113

Maybe you're set up to send HTML mail? Or maybe both HTML and non-HTML
mail? That blue line thing won't (shouldn't) show up, shouldn't even be
available if you're set up to send plain ASCII mail; neato colors and
fonts and all that crap, that's HTML mail that does that. I set up my
parents to use Netscape (on Win98) for their mail and configured things
to send  non-HTMl mail, replies are quoted inline rather than as
attachments, all that kind of stuff that makes mail readable to non-
HTML-ized mail clients.

ct

P.S. Well, maybe I need to take some of that back... I recently
configured it to forward messages as attachments cuz my mom was having
problems forwarding messages that had already been forwarded untold
number of times. I don't remember who started that convention of sending
things as attachments but I suspect it was either Microsoft (before
Lookout) or Novell.

P.P.S. Your problem with Mozilla/Netscape mail client presenting you
with basically your entire home directory in the mail interface, that's
one of the reasons why I gave up on that software. The problem is
basically a misconfiguration, someplace you tell it path-to-mailbox but
if you don't tell it the right path it gives you EVERYTHING. Found talk
about this in one of the Netscape support groups on their News server.

Here's an off-topic question, how many people here know what Usenet News
is? And rn? trn? tin?