[CLUE-Tech] Linux on Sparc: Need Media

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Jun 6 21:39:46 MDT 2004

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:08:09 -0600
David Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> > So, if someone would be kind enough to bring a Linux/Sparc distro to
> > the meeting, I'd much appreciate it.
>
> I assume you can boot from CD on those.  Do their CDROMs read CD-Rs?
> The Alphas I have don't.  So maybe you need boot floppies too.

I don't know. I'm at ground zero on this little project. I do have 1
external CD drive, so it's at least possible, but I don't know if the BIOS
will do it. Boot floppies would be a good thing, then.

> Can you use a network install?  I can bring you Debian Sarge.  The
> installer is 110MB but if you only have dial-up I'd need to bring
> another 3 CDs.

Another good question. I think not, but only because I don't know how I'd
serve the source media. Yeah, I could load it on my main box, and put the
Sparc on my network. Oh, I see you brought up the dialup question -- yeah,
I'm still stuck on a dialup.

Thanks, Dave.
jed
--