[CLUE-Tech] Linux on Sparc: Need Media

Carl Schelin co_bofh at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 7 23:20:55 MDT 2004

--- Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2004, at 5:05 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:
>

> > ok set auto-boot?=false
> > stack underflow
>
> The version of OpenBoot on those machines doesn't
> understand that
> command, it would appear.
>
> > ok reset-all
> > reset-all? (no opportunity to answer here,
> returned to prompt)
>
> Same problem, looks like.
>
> > ok probe-scsi-all
> > /sbus at 1,f8000000/esp at 0,800000
> >  Target 3
> >   Unit  0 Disk MAXTOR LXT-2BS SUN02074.17
>
> No sign of the CD-ROM on the SCSI bus... or did you
> say you didn't have
> one?

One other observation. It's unlikely since there
doesn't appear to be a bootable image, however
probe-scsi-all has been known to return all kinds of
odd/partial information when it doesn't have a clean
memory (partial kernel, for example) including locking
up tight. The oldest sparc I've regularly dealt with
is a Sparc5 (DNS). I had a couple of IRC's but pitched
them along with loads of other kit when we moved. On
the newer systems we could turn off auto-boot? so
Nate's comments could be followed. If you can't
prevent it from booting, you'll need to stop+a as soon
as the OBP banner has displayed. Then try the
probe-scsi-all. It probably won't make a difference
but it might be worth a shot.

> Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

Carl