[CLUE-Tech] Problems with Sarge

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jun 8 10:01:28 MDT 2004

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> No such luck killing X but thanks.
>
> After installing Debian, here is what I apt-get install (in order),
> see if this looks ok to you:
>
> 1) less
> 2) x-window-system
> 3) sudo
> 4) vim
> 5) kernel-something-i686
> 6) gnome
> 7) xscreensaver

You could boot a Knoppix CD, copy the X configuration off to another
machine somewhere and then replace the Debian installer's one with the
Knoppix configuration file, if Knoppix X works correctly.

That's a trick I learned from someone that saved me hours of tinkering
with Debian's broken installer on a machine with an Nvidia card that it
was unhappy with.

Actually, one guy took that idea a step further and uses Knoppix to get
a auto-detected system and uses debbootstrap to bring up a clean Debian
install from a Knoppix boot:

http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

Your mileage may vary...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com